About
On August 20, 1878, 25 years after Sandwich first became a town, a contract was signed for construction of the Sandwich City Hall and Opera House.
The first floor of the new building housed all the functions of city government, including city offices, the police department (Marshall's office), a jail and the fire department. The Opera House was located on the second floor and served as a true community center -- the core of social and cultural activities of the community
In 1979, after much urging by the Commerce Association, the Mayor appointed a steering committee to investigate saving the building. After careful study, the committee concluded that the best use was that for which it was built. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, and extensive restoration and renovation was begun. Careful research was done to provide an accurate representation of the theatre as it was in the 1890s
After much time, money and energy by volunteers to restore and renovate the City Hall and Opera House, a grand re-opening was held on April 12, 1986. Once again the building functions as a community oriented facility, bringing community theatre, lectures, recitals, style shows, weddings and a wide variety of outstanding performers, ranging from country to classical, to its stage.