New reporting from last week revealed that Planned Parenthood Mar Monte (PPMM), which provides health services in Nevada and parts of central California, will no longer be providing family medicine, prenatal care, and behavioral health care to patients because of the sweeping federal funding cuts in Trump and Republicans’ “Big Beautiful Bill”, which Joe Lombardo supports.
The Republican budget gives permanent tax cuts to billionaires while eliminating Medicaid reimbursements for any health provider that offers abortions, even though no federal dollars go towards covering the procedure. Due to this, PPMM expects to lose about $100 million in funding from Medicaid reimbursements, or over half its yearly revenue, forcing the provider to cut the health services it can offer.
Over 320,000 people depend on PPMM for care and will now have to contend with the loss of an affordable health care option thanks to the Republican bill. That loss will be compounded by the over-100,000 Nevadans who will lose their health care because of the “BBB”.
Despite the damage it’s going to do to Nevada, Joe Lombardo has on multiple occasions praised Trump’s “Big Beautiful Bill”, saying Nevadans should be “excited” by it and thanking Speaker Mike Johnson for coming to Nevada to try to sell the bill.
Lombardo, who is more extreme than Donald Trump when it comes to a woman’s right to choose, will surely be thrilled with the Republican budget bill’s cuts to Planned Parenthood. Lombardo has said he opposed a ballot measure enshrining abortion rights into Nevada’s state constitution and also that he would support efforts to ban abortion in Nevada after just 15 weeks. Lombardo also vetoed AB383, the “Right to Contraception Act,” a bill that would have locked the right to contraception into state law. He vetoed another bill that would have helped protect prescribers of abortion pills like mifepristone. And just a day after being pressured by anti-choice extremists to restrict a woman’s right to choose, Lombardo vetoed another reproductive health care bill that would have protected IVF.
Read more below:
The Nevadan: It’s Nevadan women and families taking the hit as Planned Parenthood scales down services due to federal Medicaid cuts
Key points:
- While none of the Planned Parenthood clinics in Nevada will be closed, certain services accessed by thousands, including prenatal care and family medicine, are ending. More than 320,000 Nevadans are about to lose three major health care services that they’ve been depending on from local clinics: family medicine, prenatal care, and behavioral health care.
- That’s because Planned Parenthood Mar Monte, a provider of family, sexual, and reproductive health care, recently announced it is ending those in the state due to the sweeping federal funding cuts in President Donald Trump’s “One Big Beautiful Bill.” The bill was signed into law on July 4 and gives tax cuts to billionaires while paying for them by cutting Medicaid for millions of low-income Americans.
- While none of Planned Parenthood Mar Monte’s clinics are closing, the organization has been forced to “sunset” family medicine, behavioral health care, and prenatal care, a PPMM spokesperson said. More than 320,000 Nevadans rely on PPMM.
- Under the Trump administration’s bill, Medicaid reimbursements have been cut for nonprofit, federally designated “essential community health providers” who deliver abortion care. Abortion care has never been covered by Medicaid—but the bill removed Medicaid reimbursements for any health provider that offers abortions in addition to other services. PPMM will lose about $100 million in Medicaid reimbursements, or over half its yearly revenue.
- “We are heartbroken and outraged to have to sunset these three crucial services,” the spokesperson said. “PPMM has provided family medicine in many locations for close to 30 years, sometimes serving three generations of families.”
- Just this week, a federal judge blocked the enforcement of Trump’s bill that deprived Planned Parenthood of Medicaid funding, saying it is likely unconstitutional. PPMM said that while the organization applauds the preliminary injunction, it does not change the plans to scale back services.
- “While this is a key victory, the fight is far from over,” the spokesperson said. “We know the Trump administration will almost certainly appeal this preliminary injunction and use every tactic at their disposal to seek to destroy Planned Parenthood as an organization to stop abortion care, and to block federal funding for sexual and reproductive health care.”
- While the court order allows Planned Parenthood to resume billing for Medicaid, the Justice Department is arguing that if they eventually win this case, the organization will owe all the Medicaid reimbursements it has received.
- PPMM said that, with more than three years left in the Trump administration, the organization is looking to other funding avenues to keep its doors open without relying on federal funding.